Thursday, July 8, 2010

Take Your Protein Pills and Put Your Helmet On

Hi. My name's Ellie, and I'm not good at introductions. I'm not going to lie; I spent a long time wondering exactly how to approach this. I remember once in a college class my freshman year, the professor tried to break the ice by having us each describe ourselves in one word. Supposed to make us get to know each other and foster a friendly atmosphere for discussions. But seriously, who can describe themselves in one word?

Imagine having to choose your own first name. Sure, there are names that you like, but can you decide right now what you want everyone to call you for the rest of your life?
Matt? Ashley? Too boring.
Brayden? Madison? Too preppy.
River? Sunshine? Too...weird.

And that's pretty much how I feel about things like this. Sure, I want my personality to shine through; I don't want to put people to sleep. But I also don't want to look like I'm trying too hard. You know? Maybe it's a bit late for that.

If you're still reading this, I should tell you right now that I tend to over-think things. Not an "I'm incredibly intelligent and my giant brain gets in the way" kind of over-thinking, just a regular old "I'm indecisive and I prefer to stay in my own head" kind. So without further rambling, here’s the most succinct introduction I can manage –

I'm a college student, a musician, a Buddhist, an asexual, and a girl. That's right - no job, no morals, no god, no sex, no penis. It's funny to say it like that because in spite of all those negatives, it's not like I don't believe in anything. It's more like I believe in nothing. There's a kind of freedom in it.
Non-attachment is the end of suffering.
Nothingness is the canvas for Being.
Ex nihilo, omnia fiunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment